June 2, 2010

Not Tough Enough

Although I can say that barefoot/minimalist footwear is one of the best changes that I've ever made in my life, there are, unfortunately, still set backs for me. My recent trip to New York taught me that my feet are just not as tough as I'd like them to be.

Granted, I haven't spent as much time on my feet as I would have liked in the last year, I had a hard time being on my feet as much as I was while on my latest vacation. I obviously wore minimalist footwear all of the time, seeing as that's all I own for footwear. After the third day of walking around Manhattan, my feet were a little damaged. I had developed a deep tissue blister between the balls of my left foot. I'm pretty sure that this was caused because my feet were not strong enough to handle all the walking/running with very little padding in my shoes. In addition, I got bad blisters from wearing new shoes with no socks after many long winter months of strict sock-wearing. My feet were in rough shape.

'Live and learn' is a favourite philosophy of mine. I learned that my feet, meaning both muscles and skin, are not as tough as I'd like them to be. On to strengthening my muscles and toughening my skin...