April 14, 2011

Spring Firsts

In the last couple of weeks I've done a few 'Spring Firsts' that I'd like to share and some realizations that came with them.

First Spring Barefoot Walk
  • Warm concrete is much more pleasant on the soles than cold concrete
  • Ice really is as cold as it looks to walk on
  • Pea gravel (the stuff they coat the roads with here when it snows) is NOT comfortable in the slightest
  • My already pansy feet got pansier over the winter (not surprising realization there)
  • I really can't wait for it to warm up here so I can go on more barefoot walks because, despite the above complaining, it felt WONDERFUL to be free of socks and shoes

First Spring Road Run

  • After several months of running completely barefoot on treadmills and the indoor track, my feet got wider AGAIN (my feet are now too wide to comfortably run in my VFF TrekSports :( )
  • The VIVOBAREFOOT Evos are the most comfortable road running shoes I own at the moment (they are the best at accommodating my newly wider feet)
  • I need to be careful running across pea gravel-strewn roads, they are really slippery
  • Running with wet feet in shoes is not as bad I thought it would be

First Spring Trail Run

  • It would be lovely to have a shoe as comfortable as the Evo with a little more traction.
  • Trail running is MUCH more fun than road running (not really a realization, just a reminder)
  • You get an incredible foot workout when running on trails in minimalist shoes (again, just a reminder)
  • Again, I can't wait for it to get warmer so I can enjoy some more (slightly drier) trail runs

It's nice to be reminded about how great warm, sunny weather is. I was reminded that it's spring by Angie Bee's latest blog post with flowers picked for her by her sons. I'm looking forward to spring flowers and warm weather. In case you're wondering why the lament, this is what I woke up to this morning:

Spring in Alberta

Thankfully it melts fast these days. The latest spring snow dump should be gone in a few days. Bring on the warm Alberta weather (it's fleeting but it does happen on occasion).