August 6, 2009

Short Review - Vivo Barefoot Lucy

I have finally finished writing my full-length shoe review of the Vivo Barefoot Lucy for the Living Barefoot website. It will be posted in a few weeks there but I thought I'd write about them here too but in a shorter format. In short, I love my Lucy shoes!

I find the Lucy shoes incredibly comfortable to wear walking around. With socks on they feel a lot like slippers. I haven't worn them without socks on much because I don't want them to acquire any unseemly foot odours as these shoes cannot be thrown in the wash (just like conventional shoes).

With only a 3 mm puncture-resistant sole and no other support or cushioning, you can really feel the ground with them. The sole is not quite as flexible as the VFFs but that is probably due to their sturdy, full-shoe construction. My gait does not seem to be affected by the shoe and feels a lot like when I'm barefoot. You definitely cannot heel strike in these like you can in conventional, cushioned shoes: it would hurt too much. My back does not hurt when walking in them, either.

They are extremely lightweight, weighing in at 182 g or 6 3/8 ounces each shoe. You can barely feel them on your feet.

I LOVE the black leather with red accents. I think the Black Nappa Leather Lucy looks incredibly sharp for a barefoot alternative shoe, or a regular shoe for that matter.

They are really warm, too. I've worn them in cooler temperatures and in the rain and my feet have always been warm and dry. I plan on wearing them a lot come the cooler temperatures of fall because I can wear regular socks in them (as opposed to strictly toe socks).

In summary, I am thoroughly impressed with the Vivo Barefoot Lucy shoe. They are comfortable, light, warm, and completely inconspicuous as a barefoot alternative shoe. I would recommend the Lucy shoe for any casual outing or work environment. I also hope to try out other shoes in the Vivo Barefoot line as I am so encouraged by this model.

To purchase these shoes, visit the women's section of the Vivo Barefoot area of the Terra Plana website.