February 24, 2010

The Open-mouthed Gape

The other day, I went for a run on the indoor track in town. It was slightly busier than normal for early afternoon. There were a couple of older gentlemen, probably in their early 70s, who were also using the track. They walked around the track side by side. After a while, one of them stopped to sit beside the track. As I ran by him, I smiled at him but he didn't notice. All he noticed was my bare feet. He was staring, open-mouthed, totally slack-jawed at my bare feet as I ran by. I must admit, I was quite amused and found myself grinning at his expression. In addition, not only did he gape at my bare feet the first time he saw them, but also the second and the third. I kept waiting for him to ask me, "Why the bare feet?" but he never asked. It was a fun run that day. :)