April 26, 2009

Origins of 'Toe Girl'

It's been over two years since I switched to the barefoot alternative. I bought my first pair of Vibram Fivefingers (VFFs) in May 2008. They're a pair of grey/palm KSOs (more on those in later posts). I loved them the second I put them on. I thought it might be nice to catalogue my adventures in them then but I had no idea what I would write about. It took a year of collecting stories before I started this blog. Now that I have, I feel like sharing more of my experiences wearing barefoot alternative footwear and venturing into the world of going completely barefoot.

This blog will include stories about where I've been and what I've done with my barefoot alternative shoes, reviews of the shoes I wear, race reports of races I've completed while wearing them, and hopefully be somewhere that I can share my barefoot alternative findings with websites, products, and blogs from other barefooters.

Where does the name 'Toe Girl' comes from? I started going back to school shortly after buying my first pair VFFs and some of my classmates were fascinated by my shoes. One of them nicknamed me 'Toe Girl' when they saw my shoes with toes. I was very proud. It's been very rare in my life to be nicknamed anything from anybody. It was a happy moment for me and one that's stuck with me. I couldn't think of a better name for my blog about sharing my barefoot alternative adventures.